New Member Auditions
WOW holds annual auditions for new members, either after the April or November productions. There are usually up to a dozen places available for children between 10 and 18 years old, although this varies from year to year depending on the number of leavers and cast requirements of upcoming productions. We may invite one or two young performers who excel during our Summer Workshop Week to audition for WOW ahead of the scheduled dates.
How to Audition to Join
Once set, The official dates of our next audition workshop and auditions will posted below as well as on WOW’s social media pages. There may also be a notice in the show programme for our latest production. When applications are open, there will be a form below to register for the audition workshop.
Being involved in a WOW production is a huge commitment, not just for the young performers but also for their parents or carers. WOW asks that families only start the process if they are confident they can match the commitment outlined below and in our Expectations Summary.
Everyone wishing to audition needs to be able to attend the audition workshop to prepare for the auditions. At the workshop, participants are taught up to three songs and a couple of dance routines. One song and one dance routine must be performed at the audition along with the applicant’s own choice of monologue, which lasts no longer than one minute.
The Audition panel, which includes the Chairman and Creative Team from the workshops, look for a good voice, musicality and an ability to move well (they do not necessarily have to be trained dancers) and, of course, a degree of presence and potential.
Following the auditions, parents will be advised if their child has been selected by email and/or SMS message. WOW is always oversubscribed and any performers not selected are welcome to try again. Some members have taken up to three attempts to be offered a place and this reflects the determination and enthusiasm that we are looking for.
- Audition Workshop – To be set and not before 21 November 2022.
- Auditions – To be set and not before 27 November, 2022.
ESSENTIAL INFORMATION BEFORE APPLYING TO AUDITION
- Unless otherwise specified, all children must be at least 10 years old by the audition date and will be required to provide a recent colour headshot (passport sized) for the Audition Form, which we ask to be completed before the auditions. Please be aware that younger children may not yet be ready for the demands of a WOW production and may benefit from waiting until they are older to audition.
- Once confirmed as a member, there will be an annual membership due, which may be paid in one or two instalments, as well as a production fee for each show. (These are currently £130 a year for membership and £30 for each production. Please advise a committee member in confidence if these fees may present a barrier to participation.)
- Rehearsals take place up to three consecutive evenings a week until 9pm, from Sunday to Tuesday. We generally start with learning the music on two evenings a week.
- Not all rehearsals are full company ones but members are expected to attend those to which they are called.
- WOW depends on volunteers and needs licensed chaperones to stage our shows. We, therefore, expect a parent/carer to obtain a chaperone licence from Dorset Council. We also ask parents to join the chaperone rota for rehearsals and to help behind the scenes.
- The decision of the audition panel is final and no correspondence will be entered into. We are also unable to give individual feedback.